I have to say, since embracing minimalism, packing for trips has become so much easier! This year we are traveling to Arizona in December to visit my parents. It will be the first time my 3-year-old has been on a plane! So that should be fun…
When I considered what I wanted to pack for this trip I decided to play around with an athleisure wardrobe. I don’t usually do athleisure wear outside the house, so I thought I would give it a shot. Traveling is the perfect time to test out a new style and have a little adventure!
Here’s what I came up with: the only items I needed to purchase were a pair of gray leggings, which I got on Amazon, and I actually really love them! (They have POCKETS! High Waisted Pocket Leggings) And I purchased a new denim jacket from Gap (used points and discounts on Black Friday. Paid only $7!)
Athleisure Travel Capsule Items:
- Gray Long Sleeve Tee (actual) (similar)
- White Long Sleeve Tee (actual) (similar)
- Pink Sweater (Calvin Klein from ThredUP) (similar)
- Gray Cardigan (actual) (similar)
- Denim Jacket (actual) (similar)
- Navy T-shirt Dress (actual) (similar)
- Black Pocket Leggings (old, from Target) (similar)
- Gray Pocket Leggings (actual)
- Pink Adidas Running Shoes (actual) (similar)
- Pink Sneakers (old, from Maurices) (similar)
- Pink Kate Spade Bag (free from Mary Kay!) (similar)
Things to consider when planning a travel capsule:
- The Weather. Always check out the expected temperature / precipitation and plan accordingly.
- Layers are your friend. Flexible layering pieces like a neutral cardigan or a jacket are perfect for air travel and easy to adjust your outfits depending on the weather.
- Stick to a consistent color palette. Every item in your capsule should be mix-and-match-able to the other items. In this capsule, I picked Black, White, and Gray as my base, with Pink and Denim/Navy as my accent colors. Everything goes with everything.
- Only two pairs of shoes… maybe three if you have a special occasion. It’s really tempting to have more shoe options, but shoes take up a ton of real estate in your suitcase!
- A nice purse, like my Kate Spade, is a must. Pick something fashionable, that’s not too big (so you don’t overload yourself), but will still hold all your necessities and a water bottle. A cross-body option (or a backpack purse like this other one I have) is a good idea too. Then, I recommend using a wristlet wallet (like this one) that you can take out of your purse and use for those nights out on the town!
My Athleisure Capsule Outfits:
Day -1: (the night before we leave we’ll be traveling to and staying with family who will take us to the airport)
Day 1: (Travel Day, wear comfortable layers for the airplane!)
Day 2: (Site Seeing in AZ! Even though it’s warmer than MN, I still want layers because… desert)
- Black Pocket Leggings
- Gray Long Sleeve Tee
- Denim Jacket
- Pink Adidas Tennis Shoes
- Gray Cardigan (not pictured) (for around the house)
Day 3: (more AZ site seeing and hanging out with family!)
Day 4: (sad day… Traveling back home)
What else am I packing?
- My Travel Roll Up Bag (holds all my shower and most of my makeup items!)
- Make up brush set
- Pro Makeup Palette
- Hair Dryer (similar)
- Mini Straightener (actual)
- Small Jewelry Case (similar)
- Underwear / Socks / 3 Bras
- 1 Pair Pajamas
The best part about all this? I won’t have to lug a bunch of stuff all over the airport! I will be sharing a checked bag with my 3 year old, and all we will need on the plane is her backpack and my purse! #winning